Wednesday 22 August 2012

How it all began

In January 2011, I participated in the Walk for Memories .  Just the fact that people were doing SOMETHING to raise money, awareness, emotional support in the fight against Alzheimer's was so very encouraging to me.  So I started thinking (a dangerous part time activity of mine), I could do something, couldn't I?  Something besides living this story... something that might make a small 'drop in the bucket' difference?
You see my mom, Audrey Walmsley was diagnosed with Alzheimers in February of 2007.  She has been living "in care" since July 2007.  I miss her.  Oh, I see her often, but she doesn't see me.  My sister and I have been running at the speed of light since this started.  Doctors, Physio, Psychiatrists, hospitals, ambulance rides... the list goes on and on.  At one point a Social Worker asked me if I was journalling all of this.  My reply to her was "no, don't have time as I'm too busy living this".  So, now is the right time.  Because I've decided to do something.
I have a goal.
I am knitting 25 scarves before the end of this year.
Blue scarves
blue is the colour that the Alzheimer Society uses  = Forget-Me-Not
I am knitting them - but my mom is 'helping'.  She will knit one row on each and every one of them.

And the best part?  At the end of the year I am going to 'sell' each one of them #1-#25.  How much? Each buyer will be asked to make a donation to the Alzeimer Society of BC  in the amount of $100 or more.  I will ensure that $2500+ makes it's way there.
So stay tuned.
25 scarves
25 posts
25 stories
Some will bother you, make you uncomfortable.  Some will scare you.  Some will make you cry. Some (most) will make you laugh.
'cause my momma is a 'spicy momma'!

No comments:

Post a Comment