Friday 3 August 2012

number 8 - lay them straight


simple
easy
basic
fast



everything that makes this scarf just that?


was nothing like the past 2 days have been.

I hate Fraser Health.  There, I have said it. 
I am so very frustrated by incompetence.

Here is the condensed version mom, just so you know where things are at.....

You've been at Riverview for 9 months now receiving your ECT treatments.  They have been brilliant.
so,
time to leave RV (good thing as it is closing!) and head back to Delta View.  We have been waiting 3 months for you to get a consult at Delta Hospital.  You see, you need to continue your ECT as a maintence thing, so you don't go back to screaming "Help Me" for 20 hours a day.  Consult is so that they can "rubber stamp" as we were told, the request for you to have your ECT at Delta Hospital.  But, wait.... ONE man at Delta Hospital (an Internist I belive...  someone possibly named Dr. Shaw (but I have never met him so I can't say for certain - it's just that his name is on the report) says
NO.
 
You apparently are NOT  a good candidate for ECT.  In fact he says...
"I do not think patient is a good candidate to continue further ECT, because of her frail status and signs of ostoporosis and osteoarthritis, which could be a rist factor for a fracture from ECT"  it goes on from there, but I won't bore you mom..   
so, what this ONE person is saying is that all of the medical professionals at RiverView are wrong.  None of them know what they are doing.  Really?  
so, now what?

Let me back up here.. your consult was last Friday August 19th... and that "No" that they gave you? Well, NO one happened to mention it to me until I initiated a call to DV to ask when the ECT would be..  I was just covering my bases mom, just like you taught me.  The Social Worker there was the one to tell me.  Really?  I had seen the Social Worker at RV yesterday morning... it must have slipped her mind.....


well, 10's of emails, 3 faxes, and 20's of phone calls over a 24 hour period has left us still in the dark. 
They are taking you on Monday back to DV.  I'm riding the bus with you though, so we should have fun!  I'll bring you some clothes so you have something to wear...  and maybe a corsage to wear because you will like that.  You will then go to RiverView once a week until Sept 16 for your maintenence ECT.  You know,,, that treatment that will make your Osteoporosis crack you.
Well, damn, if that won't be the end of the world, I don't know what will be! 
Yes mom, sorry, I said damn... and I guess I should also tell you that I said the F word today too...  well, no, I didn't exactly say it...  i flippin SHOUTED it! 

And really, spending 1.5 hours in a transport vehicle each week could be fun!  I hope that they are careful drivers though, because you have osteoporosis mom, and you could break something if they crashed... 

Now.... I've told people that I would not let them take you unless I had it in writing that they will find another place for you to have ECT...  Mom, you know me!  You know that I would lie down in front of that bus! (well I would but I haven't heard back from Global News yet, and if I'm going to lie down in front of a bus over this - it is for sure gonna make the news!)
I have had 3 people in Fraser Health say that they will have a consult arranged before September 16 so that there is no lapse in your maintenance. Mom, guess what?  I will be phoning those people EVERY DAY until that happens.  Don't worry mom, I'll be nice.



And mom, I love you.  I fight these fights because I love you.  I knit these scarves because I honour you. 



I cry these tears because it    JUST    SHOULD   NOT   BE   THIS   HARD. 

 For you, and for us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment