Thursday 16 August 2012

Scarf #4


"Indian Sweaters"

Back in the day - you were allowed to call them that :)  Now... 'Cowichan' Sweaters would be more appropriate.  Although... those are supposed to be knit in the Cowichan Valley... and these ones were knit in Burnaby or Delta... 

When mom was little her parents moved around alot...  she was born in Vancouver, but lived in a variety of towns in BC.  Quathiaski Cove was, I believe, one of her favourite places.  Even now, if she is agitated or anxious if you say..   "ahhh Quathiaski Cove... mom, what was it like?"  you can get a smile from her!  It's located on Quadra Island, not that far away really, and I wish that she had taken us there at some point.  Why didn't she?  I guess I'll never have an answer that that one and many other questions.  But she loved it there, and she loves the traces of remembering that she has in her heart still.

So, back to the sweaters.  Mom was an awesome knitter!  She knit many of these sweaters, even a tiny one for her first grandchild Luke (my amazing son - just have to say!)  I have 3 of them here at my house, there are still a couple at Mom and Dad's, Debbie has some for sure... not sure where the others are.  But interesting that Sandy and Donna have both mentioned that mom showed them how to knit them!  They were not easy to knit!  Makes my scarves seem a tad lame.... but such is life.
Wish she were here to teach me her technique now!


Scarf #4 reminds me of these sweaters in it's texture.  That's about the only thing that they have in common!  The sweaters? so detailed and complicated!  the scarf?  so not!


But somehow they go together.  One speaks of how things were, one speaks of how things have become.  Which is which?  Your choice.






  If I'd known this would be the story, would I have treasured her instruction more?  Treasured her more when I had her?  Probably... so what does that teach me now?  

No comments:

Post a Comment